Winter 2021 RRCU Chronicle
Table of Contents
MembersChoice Premier Checking Updates
Member-owners, you deserve our best products and services, and the new updates to MembersChoice Premier Checking exceed our goal! We are delighted to announce some exciting enhancements to Premier Checking accounts effective January 1, 2021. MembersChoice Premier Checking delivers all of these benefits and more with no change to your monthly service fee.
Beginning January 1, 2021, you'll receive the following new security benefits:
- NEW – Roadside Assistance: 24-hour coverage for roadside assistance services, including vehicle towing, fuel/oil/fluid/water delivery, and battery/lock-out/tire assistance up to $100 per occurrence. Maximum of 2 events per year.
- NEW – Cell Phone Protection1: NOW includes up to $400 of replacement or repair costs and covers up to four phones listed on your cell phone bill. (Cell phone bill must be paid through this account.)
A full list of all the amazing benefits you receive just by having a MembersChoice Premier Checking account can be found here.
Send Texts to 903-735-3000
Members can now text our main number at 903-735-3000 for quick replies covering topics such as hours, closings, rates, locations, request a callback, and more. No confidential information or transactions are permitted. Please keep your text requests short for a faster response time.
Red River Credit Union is honored and humbled to receive the following awards for 2020. A big thank you to everyone who voted for us.
- Texarkana Gazette Reader's Choice Award for Best Credit Union and Best Place to Get a Mortgage
- ALT Magazine Reader's Choice Award for Best Credit Union
- Bowie County Citizens Tribune Reader's Choice Award for Best Credit Union
- Paris News Reader's Choice Award for Best Credit Union
- eParis Extra Reader's Choice Award for Best Credit Union
- Sulphur Springs News Telegram Reader's Choice Award for Best Credit Union
- The Marshall News Messenger 2020 Hometown Best Credit Union
RRCU is proud to support local charitable organizations.
- City of Reno's Bike Drive - RRCU donated $1,000 to help provide bikes for the city's free bike raffle. Pictured (L to R): City of Reno's Tricia Smith (Secretary) with RRCU's Melanie Palmer (Paris, TX Branch Manager).
- Harvest Regional Food Bank - RRCU donated $3,000 to help feed those in need this holiday season. Pictured (L to R): Harvest Regional's Jennifer Teeters (Development Director) with RRCU's Patricia Cunningham (Marketing VP) and Brad Bailey (CEO).
- Domestic Violence Prevention, Inc. - RRCU donated $3,000 to the Santa Shop for parents to receive Christmas gifts for their children. Pictured (L to R): Domestic Violence Prevention's Trinity Gardner (Program Director) with RRCU's Patricia Cunningham (Marketing VP) and Brad Bailey (CEO).
- Texarkana Arkansas Police Department - RRCU donated $500 to Texarkana AR's Shop with a Cop program. Pictured (L to R): RRCU's Vickie Bryan (VP Branch Operations) with TAPD's Officer Thompson and Officer Bryan, and RRCU's Brad Bailey (CEO).
- Express Personnel is matching our $3,000 donation to go towards Christmas gifts for kids in Child Protective Services. Pictured (L to R): Express Personnel's Joey Martin (Owner), Elaine Chriestenson (GM), RRCU's Patricia Cunningham (Marketing VP), Express Personnel's Heather Buster (Professional Search Specialist) and RRCU's Brad Bailey (CEO).
- Shreveport Police Department - RRCU donated $1,000 to the Shreveport PD's Shop with a Cop program. (Not pictured.)
- Toys for Tots posted donation boxes in each branch lobby for employees and members to donate. Toy count unknown at this time. (Not pictured.)
Notice of Annual Business Meeting
Red River Employees Credit Union’s 78th Annual Meeting will be held Tuesday, April 13, 2021, 6:00 p.m., in the lobby at the Summerhill Road Office located at 4405 Summerhill Road, Texarkana, TX.
In an effort to limit the exposure of COVID-19 and adhere to the recommendations of our local government to protect you and our staff, the number of members attending may be limited. The Business Meeting will strictly be business; there will be no entertainment, give-a-ways, or prize drawings.
In accordance with the credit union bylaws, the Nominating Committee of Red River Employees Credit Union filed the three individuals below with the Secretary of the Board of Directors to serve three-year terms. Nominations may be made by petition signed by 500 eligible members at least 18 years of age or older.
Each nominee must be at least 18 years of age and submit a brief statement of qualifications and biographical data accompanied by a signed certificate from the nominee stating they are agreeable to the nomination and will serve if elected. Official petitions must be filed with the Secretary of the Board of Directors and received no later than March 4, 2021.
Board of Directors Nominees
FRED MILTON - Member for 55 years; Member of the Red River Credit Union Board of Directors for 31 years and currently serving as the Chairman of the Board. Mr. Milton has also served as Vice-Chairman and Chairman of the Supervisory Committee. He retired in 1999 as Deputy Commander, Defense Distribution Depot, Red River, after 33 years of Civil Service. Mr. Milton holds a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics from LSU Baton Rouge, LA. He serves as Board Member, Riverbend Water Resources District; Board Member, Texas Water Development Board Region D Planning Group; President/Trustee, Ringwood Cemetery Association; Lifetime Member, Association of the United States Army. Mr. Milton has served 17 years as President/CEO of Milton Integrated Logistics, Inc., a financial, logistics and distribution consulting firm. He and his wife, Brenda, have three children and two grandchildren. They live in New Boston, Texas and are members of the First Baptist Church.
STEVE CONNER - Member for 29 years; currently serving on the Board of Directors. Mr. Conner was a founding partner of the Conner and Duffer Insurance Agency in New Boston, Texas, and recently retired after 41 years. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Economics from Texas A&M University in College Station. Mr. Conner has also served on the Texas Veterans Land Board and the First Bank & Trust Board. He and his wife, Glenda, attend Antioch Christian Church and have two daughters and three grandchildren.
ANDREA CHEWNING - Member for 43 years; retired from RRCU, where she was an employee for 35 years, and is a current member of the Red River Credit Union Board. Ms. Chewning held positions of Vice-President of Member Growth & Development, Member Advocate, CEO of Red River Member Service Group LLC, Investment & Insurance Advisor, Asst. Vice-President, Compliance Officer, Risk Management Officer, Training Officer, Accounting Supervisor, and Marketing Specialist. She graduated from Trinity University, San Antonio, TX with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and Marketing & Accounting. Ms. Chewning is the current President of the Texarkana Animal League; former Chairman of the Girl Scouts/Diamond of Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas; former director of the Conifer Area Properties, Girl Scouts of Conifer Council and United Way of Greater Texarkana. Andrea currently lives in Texarkana and has two children, Christopher and Sarah, and one grandson, Douglas.
Fraud Protection Cyber Shopping Tips
How do attackers target online shoppers?
There are three common ways that attackers can take advantage of online shoppers:
- Creating fraudulent sites and email messages
- Intercepting unsecured transactions
- Targeting vulnerable computers
How can you protect yourself?
- Do business with reputable vendors – Check the site certificate information, phone numbers and physical addresses of vendors in case issues arise.
- Ensure your information is being encrypted – Make sure the site's URL begins with "https:" instead of "http:" and a padlock icon is closed.
- Be wary of emails requesting information – Legitimate businesses will not solicit sensitive information through email.
- Use a credit/debit card – Google Wallet, Apple Pay and other pay services help to secure your transactions.
- Check your statements – RRCU strongly suggests using Online/Mobile Banking to monitor transactions daily.
How to Apply for a Business Loan
Applying for a Business Loan is easier than you may think. Just contact our Commercial Lending Department to get started. The loan officer will provide the following documentation (as applicable) to complete before beginning the loan process:
- Business Loan Application – A 3-page document to be completed and signed by the borrower.
- Business Debt Schedule – A listing of current business loans directly related to the business.
- Rent Roll Schedule – A listing of current rental investment properties owned by the borrower.
- Personal Financial Statement (PFS) – A schedule that lists personal assets and liabilities.
- Church Questionnaire – An application completed by churches interested in obtaining a loan.
The loan officer will also request the borrower to provide the most recent three years of tax returns. RRCU will obtain a credit report to determine a debt-to-income ratio. The loan process will go more quickly if the borrower has this financial information at their fingertips.
For more information, please Click Here to view a YouTube video on the topic or contact the Commercial Lending Department at 903-735-1212 or 903-735-1274.
Mobile App Update Coming Soon
We are continually searching for ways to improve your user experience. With that in mind, we have a new mobile app update coming to your mobile devices very soon. The new look will display the top four services used as quick access buttons. Quick buttons will change depending on what features are available to each individual.
No more looking for that Mobile Deposit option in the menus. Quick buttons will be one upgrade that is sure to please. Stay connected, RRCU members!
Direct Deposit or ACH Withdrawals
When setting up a Direct Deposit or ACH Withdrawal (Automated Clearing House or electronic funds-transfer system) for the first time, be careful to record your account number accurately. Your Account number is your 6-digit member number with 010 in front and 0 in back.
For example: If your member number is 123456, you will use 0101234560 as your Direct Deposit account number.
If your member number is less than 6 digits, add more zeroes to the front of your member number to make it a total of 10 digits.
For example: If your member number is 12345, you will use 0100123450 as your Direct Deposit account number.
Then select Savings or Checking as the type of account.
Your debit card number is NOT your member number.
Odds and Ends
IRA Deposit Deadline for 2020 tax year will be April 15, 2021. Traditional IRA, as well as Roth IRA contributions, must be made by the April tax deadline of any given year unless otherwise stated by the IRS. Click here to visit the IRS website.
Don't miss out!
Please check your account information for your correct phone number, address, email and other contact information, so you don't miss out on important updates and notifications. Services include RRCU Fraud Alert Notifications by text and email.
Find us on Facebook
Like our page (redrivercreditunion) for the latest credit union news, promotions, events, notices, and more!
RRCU Mission Statement
Red River Employees Credit Union is committed to be the premier financial partner for our members and their communities. We provide quality products and services with knowledgeable and friendly staff for all generations.
We are here for you in all stages of life.